Pineapple Support is an organization that is based upon communication and human connection. The world is now in a situation where this connection is not always possible, many of us have been left with a lot of spare time on our hands and are unsure of what to do with it.
Getting creative, whether it be art, writing, sewing, baking or any other craft, is a great way to keep the mind active and possibly learn a new skill. You may even find a talent you never knew you had.
Crafting and getting creative have a number of benefits for our mental health, including stress reduction; a way to regulate strong emotions such as anger; self-efficacy improvement; and a reduction in your chances of developing mild cognitive impairment, among other things.
Focussing on a craft can also take the mind off the current news and headlines, which is something we all need to do to care for our mental health and well-being.
Below is a list of websites offering tutorials and ideas for getting creative during isolation.
- Draw Every Day with JKK – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yhH7AHty8&list=PLg9gpgNtuVmFqtseQCKFWZml6dfdLugwt
- Yodomo Online Courses – https://yodomo.co/collections/yodomo-online-courses
- Tickover, embroidery and Sewing repair tutorials – https://www.instagram.com/tickover/
- Fast Fashion Therapy, repair and refresh – http://www.fastfashiontherapy.co.uk/category/how-to/
- Scouts, The Great Indoors – https://www.scouts.org.uk/the-great-indoors/
- Artsy, 10 free university art classes – https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-10-university-art-classes-free-online
- The Turban Project, How to sew a reusable medical face mask – https://turbanproject.com/videos
- The Holburne Museum, weekly art group – https://www.holburne.org/learning/community-engagement/pathways-to-wellbeing/
- Sashiko mending, The Japanese art of mending fabric with beautiful stitched – https://www.marthastewart.com/1535789/sashiko-japanese-art-mending-fabric-visible-stitches
- Paper Kawaii, origami – https://www.paperkawaii.com/
- Craft Council, art and crafts tutorials – https://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/craft-club/
- How to hand letter – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KXyff9iw121ji9kTxAh2w/videos
- Knit For Peace – https://knitforpeace.org.uk/
- Crafts By Amanda, how to make simple puppets – https://knitforpeace.org.uk/
- Mindful Crochet, crochet tutorials – https://www.youtube.com/user/sa8rah56/videos?app=desktop
- Instructables, a beginners guide to paper cutting – https://www.instructables.com/id/A-Beginners-Guide-to-Paper-Cutting/
- Writing Tips Oasis, poetry for beginners – https://writingtipsoasis.com/poetry-for-beginners/
- Cutting Edge Stencils, how to stencil – https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/how-to-stencil-videos.html
We would love for you to share with us your creations or ideas for others to get creative via Twitter @pineappleYSW
With love, Leya Tanit