Laughter Is the Best Medicine
Some of you may be old enough to remember Reader’s Digest. When I was little I was so excited to be able to read the Laughter Is the Best Medicine pages; they always made me smile.
What can laughter do?
- Release good endorphins that make you feel happy.
- Relax your muscles- a good bout of laughter can relax your muscles for almost an hour!
- Laughter boosts your immune system.
- It decreases stress hormones.
- It diffuses anger.
- It may help you live longer.
- It helps you put things into perspective and not take things so seriously.
Have you seen that Twizzlers ad that’s been running on TV for about a year? In it the people are very serious and cranky looking, but once the Twizzler comes from offstage and starts poking them in the face they can’t help but laugh. I love that commercial because it reminds me not to take myself too seriously.
I really don’t feel like laughing.
Come on, it’s good for you! Here are some things you can try to put more laughter in your life:
- Watch a comedy.
- Listen to or watch a comedian.
- Talk to a funny friend.
- Watch silly videos on You Tube.
- Watch videos of people telling their kids that they ate all of their kid’s candy.
- Watch baby animal videos.
- Watch little kids play.
- Tickle someone (with their permission).
- Read a joke book or joke page on the internet.
- Play weird or funny songs (anything by Weird Al Yankovic for me!).
- Dance like a two year old.
- Ask people to tell you their favorite jokes.
- Ask little kids to tell you a joke.
- Look at photos online from the 1980s.
- Try Laughter Yoga.
- Think about one of the silliest things you’ve ever done.
I hope that something on this list works. If you can think of anything that helps you to remember to laugh why don’t you send me an email about it? If I get enough responses I will revisit this topic. Let’s try to keep it fairly g-rated though, ok? MecheleEvans@hushmail.com.
Wishing you laughter, love, and serenity,